Friday, October 15, 2010

Down the Mountain

Today is Blog Action Day at Change.org and the entire blogging world is focused on one thing....clean water. As I write this, I sit at my desk with a glass of cold, clear, clean H2O, free from disease causing bacteria that could cause my body harm. I got this water from the refrigerator in my office, 20 steps away. That very same refrigerator is plastered with pictures of communities that lack this very basic resource. Its a funny thing we do, putting pictures on our fridge. We can't explain why we do it, but we do. I usually put up pictures of my friends' babies or wedding announcements to look at and smile. The pictures I look at in my office still make me smile, but they also make me think. What would my life be like if I couldn't walk 20 feet to get a glass of water? How would I feel physically? What would this mean for my family? What would my days look like in order to solve this problem?

You see, the reason our fridge is filled with photos of communities that lack access to this resource is because I work for an organization called Blood:Water Mission. We are an organization that empowers communities to work together against the HIV/AIDS and water crises in Africa. I can't think of any place else I would rather be than fighting alongside these amazing communities for this basic right, communities like this one in Larachi, Kenya, which one of my staff was able to visit this year.


These families of Larachi have moved their homes down to the bottom of the mountain where they lived to have more access to development in the hopes they will one day have clean water and medical care. Here's where you come in. You can enter into their story and stories like theirs throughout Africa by being a part of a movement. A movement for clean water.

Ask yourself...
Who do you know?...in your own community to join forces with
What do you love?...what are the things you love to do that can create change
How can you act? ....to make a difference in the lives of your neighbors a continent away

How can you be the movement in your own community? You can find out more at bloodwatermission.com/bethemovement



Also, you can make a difference in a community in Rwanda or Uganda by donating and your money will be matched dollar for dollar. Donate $10 and it becomes $20. Donate $100 and double that! The need is great and every little bit counts. Click here to donate.

Thank you,
Kellie

1 comment:

  1. i love your heart for the less fortunate...and your heart in general..its a giving heart. i pray GOD would make me more like you....last year did the Remnant sponsor a clean water well? we need to do that again this year.I will mention it alongside you so you dont have to be the only one..haha love ya...

    ReplyDelete