Thursday, October 14, 2010

Mini Shepherds Pies in Acorn Squash

So, If you know me, you know I'll stuff just about anything in a green acorn squash. I love them! So sweet and delicious. I also LOVE shepherds pie. So, I got this thought on my way home last night to stuff squash with mini shepherds pies. Once that thought was in my head there was no turning back. Luckily I had everything at my house to make them, but remember you can put anything you like in shepherds pie. I include my favorite veggies.

Ingredients
2 green acorn squash
1/2 lbs ground beef
1/4 of red bell
1/4 of an onion
handful of sweet corn
handful of peas
2 cloves garlic
2 tbls butter
salt & pepper
pinch red pepper flakes
pinch dried sweet basil
Idahoan instant mashed potatoes (herb and garlic)
handful of shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400. Cut tops off acorn squash like you would a pumpkin and scoop out all the seeds and stringy stuff. Cut a little sliver at the bottom so the squash can sit upright without falling over to one side. Baste inside of squash with melted butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put in oven to bake for 30 minutes.



While squash is cooking, saute red bell, onions until tender. Add garlic and ground beef. Cook until beef isn't pink anymore. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and basil. Add in handful of peas and corn, can be frozen when added in. Let all saute for a couple minutes together.



Boil water for mashed potatoes and prepare when ready. I totally cheat on the taters. These Idahoan ones are so good and EASY! Once squash is done in oven, fill each with the meat mixture. Top with mashed potatoes. Return to oven to cook for 15 minutes. Take pies out then and top with cheddar cheese and put back in oven for an additional 5 minutes to melt. Voila! You're done.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment